Nasarawa FA boss threatens to sue 9 aspirants over defamation
Mr Mohammed Alkali, Chairman, Nasarawa State Football Association (FA), has threatened to sue nine persons aspiring for elective positions in the forthcoming FA election for making “unfounded and spurious allegations” against him.
“The aspirants have wrongly accused me of embezzling funds I was not given. They have defamed my person by this false and malicious allegation. I will institute legal action to clear my name,” Alkali told newsmen on Friday in Lafia.
The nine aspirants, who are contesting for various elective positions in the FA elections slated for May 27, had, in a petition to the EFCC, accused Alkali of squandering N12 million meant for the maintenance of the Lafia stadium.
The aspirants – Ibrahim Shigafarta, Haliru Ibrahim, Nuhu Abdukhamid, Bamaiyi Anangba, Audu Illiya, Emmanuel Ayuba, Muhammad Ayitogo. Basira Salisu and Jibrin Musa – attached receipts of payments and documents to prove that the money was released.
They claimed that the money, which was paid to Alkali by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), in 2014, was squandered without any records to show how it was expended.
The petitioners also alleged that the FA Chairman received N1.8 million from the state government for sponsorship to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, after receiving a another sponsorship grant from the Federal Government.
They also called for the dissolution of the state FA because the tenure of the officials had elapsed.
Alkali, in his reaction, said that he was shocked, sickened and disappointed.
“The allegations are spurious and without any iota of fact. I have resolved to sue the petitioners for defaming my character,” he said.
He described the claims that he had received money from NFF to renovate the Lafia Township stadium as “ridiculous and laughable”, given the fact that the the stadium was owned by the state government.
“I am glad that they have ridiculed themselves in the public domain. How can you allege that the NFF gave money to the state FA to renovate a stadium that is not even owned by the NFF or the FA? If we own the stadium, why are we going to seek approval from government to use it?
“No stadium is owned by any FA in any state in Nigeria; so the issue of NFF releasing money for maintenance of stadium does not even arise. It is total falsehood.
“Whatever is the outcome of their petition to EFCC, I am not bothered because I did not do anything wrong and I am suing them because they must provide evidence to prove that I collected money from NFF to renovate a stadium not owned by the FA,” he said.
The FA Chairman also said that he could not understand how he broke the law when he received sponsorship grants from both the state and federal government to travel to Russia for the 2018 World Cup, since he was as an executive member of the NFF and a state FA chairman.
“I find that allegation rather petty because with the two grants, I transported three members of the FA executive council to Russia and gave them allowances.
“In any case, I received the sponsorship from the federal government as a member of the NFF executive committee to be part of the Nigerian delegation to Russia, and also received sponsorship from the state government as the FA chairman and a member of the state delegation.
“I used the sponsorship from the state government to sponsor myself. I also added some money to the grant so that three members of the state FA committee can also attend the world cup. That was a huge plus to the Governor Umaru Al-Al-Makura administration.
“The three persons – Ismaila Kwanga, Abdulhameed Babarabi and Haladu Akwashiki – are alive to testify. They were there with me. My leadership is an inclusive one. I carry everyone along. That is why when I saw the opportunity, I gave it to some members of my team so that they too could join us.
“I felt bad and ashamed when I read in the news yesterday that I had been petitioned over my sponsorship to Russia in 2018. I asked myself, did I steal the money? Did I write or force both the federal and state government for it? Everything decision I took was transparent and open,” he said.
Alkali also explained that the call for the dissolution of the FA was needless since a tentative date had been set for election of new officers that would constitute the new FA executive council.
“That is why I said that their allegations are not just laughable, but ridiculous. For clarity purposes and for various reasons, the elections were postponed, but they will hold on May 27.
“If you don’t want someone in a position, lobby to vote him out. It is that simple. I want the investigation into this petition to be thorough and quickly carried out so that I can take them to court to pay for their lies against my character,” he said.
NANF Demands $10m Compensation for Late Nigerian Footballers
The National Association of Nigerian Footballers (NANF) has demanded a total of $10 million from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as well as the Nigeria Police for the death of two players, Chineme Martins and Tiamiyu Kazeem.
Nasarawa United defender Martins died during an NPFL match against Katsina United, while Kazeem of Remo Stars was hit by a fast moving car as he allegedly stepped down from a police van on the Abeokuta-Sagamu highway.
In a letter dated March 16 and addressed to the Inspector General of Police, NANF President Harrison Jalla, demanded that the next of kin of late Kazeem be paid $5 million as compensation for his brutal murder.
“We demand that the Nigeria police within 21 days of the receipt of this letter, pay to the next of kin and immediate family of Tiamiyu Kazzem the sum of $5 million as compensation for his brutal killing by the police,” the letter read in part.
In the case of Martins, NANF also asked the NFF, the League Management Company (LMC) and Nasarawa United to also pay $5 million as compensation to the family of the defender.
The players’ union blamed the tragic death of Martins to “gross negligence” by the LMC in ensuring adequate medical facilities and personnel in every NPFL match venue.
NFF inaugurate committee to investigate Nasarawa United players death
President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick on Tuesday inaugurated the ad-hoc committee set up by the football –governing body to investigate the death of Nasarawa United player Chineme Martins, charging the panel to come up with robust and sincere recommendations that will constitute the standard protocols for football organization in the country going forward.
“I am happy at the calibre of the people who make up the membership of this committee and I have no doubt you will come up with the right protocols that must be adhered to before any football match takes place anywhere in Nigeria. This is the time to make difficult decisions and I trust you to make them for us.
“Your job is a very serious one. You are free to tinker with the terms of reference and avail us the steps that will safeguard the future of our players in the areas of medical, safety and security. We pray that the soul of Chineme Martins rest in peace but we are pained by his death and we must use it as a wake-up call to enforce compliance with the provisions of Club Licensing as well as the fresh medical and security protocols that this committee will draw up.”
Pinnick and members of the committee, as well as NFF Executive Committee member Aisha Falode who was present at the inauguration observed a one- minute silence in honour of the departed Chineme Martins, who slumped and died during a Nigeria Professional Football League match between his club Nasarawa United and Katsina United at the Lafia City Stadium on Sunday, 8th March 2020.
Chairman of the committee, Dr. Peter Singabele, who is a member of the CAF committee on sports medicine, thanked the NFF President for the opportunity given the committee to take a very critical look at organization of football matches in Nigeria, pledging that with the experience, energy, assiduity and sincerity of members, the committee will draw up recommendations that will ensure that such lapses as led to the unfortunate death of Chineme Martins never recur in the country’s football.
Nasarawa united player slump and die in the pitch
Nasarawa united player slump and die in the pitch
Chineme Martins, a defender with Nasarawa United FC, has died after slumping on the field.
The incident took place during a match between his team and Katsina United in Lafia, Nasarawa State, on Sunday.
Martins was rushed to a hospital after he was attended to by medics on the field but was pronounced dead couple of minutes later.
Confirming Martins’ death, Chairman of the League Management Company, Shehu Dikko, said the league regrets the passing of the young man in his prime.
Dikko also called for a full autopsy to reveal the real cause of the player’s death.
He said, “We commiserate with Nasarawa United and the immediate family of the late player.
“It is hoped that the findings of the autopsy would inform subsequent measures, if any that has not been addressed by the existing standard procedure.”
The LMC stated that it would engage the club and the player’s family to offer support and succour.
Entertainment8 months ago
NIFEST 2019: Gov Sule Restates Commitment To Culture, Tourism Development
Crime8 months ago
FRSC impounds 219 Motorcycles and Tricycles in Nasarawa State in two days
Others8 months ago
A. A. Sule Tasks LG Chairmen On SDGs Implementation
Entertainment2 years ago
Music: Elbo ft. 9Plus – Kill person