Inferno on rampage in Lafia

A major stopover restaurant for commuters on Jos Road, Lafia, Nasarawa State, has been razed by fire.

The Managing Director of the restaurant, Mr Ugochukwu Eze, said information got to him on Saturday that the restaurant, known as Chigoze Restaurant, near Ta’al Hotel, was razed after the day’s sales.

According to him, fire engulfed all sections of the restaurant and when officials of the state fire service came, they could not salvage the situation.

“Five freezers stocked with drinks were burnt by the fire,” he added.

Eze noted that apart from the facility, the fire did not extend to other businesses, adding that he incurred over N4m loss.

He said, “I cannot tell the cause of the fire. All I can tell you is that I am in shock over this great loss. This is a restaurant that renders service to some football players of Nasarawa United Football Club. It is a stopover restaurant for commuters coming from Makurdi, South-East and even top government functionaries.

“It is my only source of income. I don’t know where to start from and I want to use this medium to call on well-meaning Nigerians to come to my aid.”

Meanwhile, nine apartments on Item 7 Street in the Tudun Kauri area of Lafia were also destroyed by another inferno.

Newsmen learnt that the incident occurred at 11pm on Saturday.

One of the victims, Mr Seidu Aliyu, said he and his family members were away from home andcould not say what led to the fire.

The Chief Fire Officer, Nasarawa State, Mr Dalhatu Dogara, however, said the inferno was caused by an explosion from a gas cylinder.

He urged members of the public to always switch off electrical appliances when leaving their houses as well as avoid the use of handsets while using gas cookers.

What do you have to say?